[ovs-discuss] Sending port's logical ID via NXM_NX_REG to the controller

Liran Schour LIRANS at il.ibm.com
Mon Mar 18 09:52:33 UTC 2013

Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote on 18/03/2013 06:59:06 AM:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 02:33:35PM +0200, Liran Schour wrote:
> > I used to send in Openvswitch 1.4.0 matchable port's logical ID to the
> > controller via a flow that load:value->NXM_NM_REG0.
> > I tried to do the same on the current release 1.9.0 and failed to do
so. I
> > also tried to pass this information via set_field:value->metadata and
> > failed also.
> > What am I doing wrong? What is the proper way now to send matchable
port's
> > IDs to the controller.
> > On version 1.4.0 I used to do that with load:value->NXM_NX_REG0
>
> I can't think of any intentional changes in this area.  What exactly
> are you doing?

I try to pass metadata to the controller through the following flow:
   ovs-ofctl add-flow br-int "in_port=5 priority=2 actions=set_field:123->
   metadata,controller(reason=no_match)"

I do see the following flow when I do dump-flows:
   cookie=0x0, duration=310.921s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0,
   idle_age=310, priority=2,in_port=5 actions=load:0x7b->OXM_OF_METADATA
   [],controller(reason=no_match)

But when I check in the controller side I see metadata=0.
I check the metadata value with 2 different methods:
   1. By snooping the communication between switch to controller and see
   metadata=0.
   2. By using the extract_flow function inside the controller to retrieve
   the flow
    corresponding to the packet_in message.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,