[ovs-discuss] Packet path from guest to host doc

Palani Chinnakannan pchinnak at gmail.com
Sat May 4 06:21:41 UTC 2013

Hi,
    I am trying to understand the packet path  from a guest VM to the entry
point into openvswitch daemon in the host.   I assume that the packet
enters the guest kernel, walks the guest net stack and somehow reaches the
vswitchd daemon in the host. How does this happen?.  Any pointers to wiki
docs is what  I am looking for.

I see this vnet0 interface that appears on the north of the openswitch.  Is
this a tuptap interface.
Is it possible to remove this interface out of the switch by using
ovs-vsctl and then drictyly read/write to this interface.

Ultimately, my goal is to write a quantum plugin that can directly talk to
the VM.  I am exploring this for a new switch we are developing.
--
pals