[ovs-discuss] Configuring OVS1.10.0 on TL-WR1043ND

Athanasios Douitsis aduitsis at gmail.com
Thu May 23 20:58:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

Take a look at this:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd#switch.ports.for.vlans

Switch port number 5 (the last one in the table) is internal on the switch
chip and is connected to the eth0 of your 1043's processor. You can better
understand this by looking at this schematic:
http://rpc.one.pl/images/stories/images/wr1043nd/vlan_wr1043nd.jpg

As you can see, you can configure each physical port with a specific vlan
tag and set native or tagged mode for each vlan on each port. Basically you
can do just about anything with this kind of flexibility. The default
configuration that comes with a stock openwrt is this:

config switch
        option name 'rtl8366rb'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'rtl8366rb'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '1 2 3 4 5t'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'rtl8366rb'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '0 5t'

This configuration corresponds exactly with the layout in the schematic.
Note that both vlans 1 and 2 have the t character for port 5 (which as I
indicated is connected with the processor's eth0). So the processor will
see eth0.1 as vlan1 and eth0.2 as vlan2.

Now, let us go to your setup. Since you have eth0.1, eth0.2, eth0.3, eth0.4
and eth0.5, i.e. 5 vlans, I'd hazard a guess that each physical port is
assigned it's own vlan. I don't know the mapping to the exact physical
ports but it can be ascertained by looking at your /etc/config/network. If,
for example, you have a section like this:

config switch_vlan
        option device 'rtl8366rb'
        option vlan '3'
        option ports '2 5t'

This would mean that port number 2 (that's LAN2 according to the schematic)
goes to vlan 3. So LAN2 and your eth0.3 are bridged. An so on for the other
ports. If you had

config switch_vlan
        option device 'rtl8366rb'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '0 5t'

this would mean that WAN (port 0) and eth0.1 are also bridged (albeit with
a different bridge that the previous).

As for the ovs configuration on the 1043, somebody else will hopefully be
able to assist as I haven't yet built ovs on mine. At least not yet.

Hope this helps,
Athanasios

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM, vinay srinivasa <asyncro at rediffmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>       I just loaded OVS1.10.0 on tl-wr1043nd router, running openWRT. This
> was done by modifying the Makefile from
> https://github.com/schuza/openvswitch/tree/master/openvswitch/. Thanks
> for the pointers provided here. I would have been lost if not for this link
>       The problem I face is related to understanding the MAC interfaces of
> the router and also the configuration of OVS. Usually, a typical switch
> would have multiple Ethernet ports where you could assign MAC address to
> each of the ports. It looks different on the TP-LINK router though. There
> are 4 physical ports on the LAN side and one WAN port. In the config files,
> I see that we are creating interfaces eth0.1, eth0.2, eth0.3, eth0.4 and
> eth0.5. How are these mapped on to the physical ports of the switch? Could
> somebody share the configuration scripts for OVS on this router.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.com/signatureline.htm@Middle?>
> Get your own *FREE* website and domain with business email solutions, click
> here<http://track.rediff.com/click?url=___http://hosting.rediff.com/rediffmailpro/business-email?sc_cid=sig___&cmp=sig&lnk=sig&nsrv1=host>

Athanasios Douitsis