[ovs-discuss] Flow to forward LLDP/STP packets

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed May 29 23:34:18 UTC 2013

Ben already wrote one and you were CC'ed:
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2013-May/027811.html

> I am learning the code, so didn't know which one has more precedence.
> Looking at:
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/git/2011-August/001692.html
>
> I was of the opinion that flows cannot be installed for special Mcast
> packets (like LLDP, STP), where in i can give the action as flood or forward
> to all ports. Are you saying that's not the case?

The man page for those two actions says:

              flood  Outputs the packet on all  switch  physical  ports  other
                     than  the  port on which it was received and any ports on
                     which flooding is disabled  (typically,  these  would  be
                     ports  disabled  by  the IEEE 802.1D spanning tree proto‐
                     col).

              all    Outputs the packet on all  switch  physical  ports  other
                     than the port on which it was received.

> And, i am aware of the 5sec ageout in kernel datapath, so i was sending
> packets every sec and monitoring the kernel flow.

Are any counters going up that would indicate that OVS is actually
receiving the frames?