[ovs-discuss] openvswitch openflow ports addition and deletion on TL-WR10453ND

vinay srinivasa asyncro at rediffmail.com
Thu May 30 14:24:11 UTC 2013

Hi,
    I have recently loaded a TL-WR1043ND with custom build of openWRT and openvswitch-1.10.0 (openflow 1.0 version being used). We have the following config in /etc/config/network on TL-WR1043ND

config 'switch'
        option 'name' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'reset' '1'
        option 'enable_vlan' '1'
        option 'enable_learning' '0'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '1'
        option 'ports' '1 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '2'
        option 'ports' '2 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '3'
        option 'ports' '3 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '4'
        option 'ports' '4 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '5'
        option 'ports' '0 5t'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto'  'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.2'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.3'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.4'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.5'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

We have the following config of openvswitch:

ovs-vsctl add-br br0
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0.1
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0.2
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0.3
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0.4

The port eth0.5 is connected with floodlight controller. We have connected eth0.1 and eth0.2 to external hosts.

1. When we try ping from one host to the other, sometimes it behaves as a normal switch (packets get switched rtl8366)via instead of going through the openflow controller/switch. Considering the case of MAC learning in floodlight controller, it is not adding the MAC learnt flows in the openvswitch.
    As a workaround we delete the eth0.1 and eth0.2 from the br0 and add them again to br0. At this point, we are able to get the MAC learnt flows in openvswitch. Not sure if anybody has faced this problem before.

2. Also, by removing and adding ports to the bridge as described above, we see that the port numbers advertised to the controller gets changed. Is this behavior expected?

Thanks in advance