[ovs-discuss] question about the OVS-OFCTL

terryxing xingtianyi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 05:14:54 UTC 2013

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the command you mentioned tomorrow.  I
have another two question to bother you.

1.  I am wondering that what the OVS is running like without connection any
controller ? Because I thought it is just a layer 2 switch.  but when I run
a openflow controller talking to it.(I tried pox and floodlight) From a
internal VM, I can only talk to the VM on the same logical network, but not
outside. The vm can not ping 8.8.8.8, or I can not reach the VM from
outside bying using the floating IP. But they all worked when I did not run
the openflow controller.  I know traffic that has something to do with
outside need a router. But that router is running on the network node but
not compute node.  Thus, I thought that running  layer 2 switch on compute
node should be sufficient for instance communication internally or
externally.

2. can "ovs-ofctl" realize this ?

I want to forward the packet to the port it should go, just like what OVS
is doing, and then can I use the CLI to modify the des_IP to the IDS's IP
and then output to
a port ? if so, which port I should output the packet with new modified
des_ip ?

I do not want to disturb the how OVS originally work for forwarding the
packet, but just want to modified the destination ip and let the OVS
forward the new modified packet as it did before.

Is that feasible ?

Thank you so much for your kind reply.