[ovs-discuss] Applying Regex to the flow_entry

Jayanth Silesh sileshsu at usc.edu
Sat Nov 16 05:48:41 UTC 2013

Hey Ben,
Is there a way to do rate-handling of packets in the OVS?

Thanks,
Jayanth Silesh
317-476-2599

Graduate Student,
University of Southern California

On November 15, 2013 at 6:22:11 PM, Ben Pfaff (blp at nicira.com) wrote:

Open vSwitch doesn't support what you're trying to do.

On Nov 15, 2013 5:45 PM, "Jayanth Silesh" <sileshsu at usc.edu> wrote:
Hey All,

I am trying to have a regular expression in my flow entry,

My topology is something like this,

host1 ———OVS ———host2

My objective is basically , host1 is constantly sending packets and host2 has to only receive half of the packets.

So, what I have thought of doing is , I will have 2 tables in my OVS, the first table matches the in_port and adds a metadata to the packet and pipelines to the table2.
Table2 decides the action according to the metadata of the packet.

But what the table1’s objective is to, check if the n_packets of that flow entry is divisible by 2 and add metadata 1 or 2 respectively.
Is there a way to write a Regex for for from the controller or ofctl command?

I have tried searching for the Regex insertion documentation but there’s no documentation on this.