[ovs-discuss] where is brcompat.ko in openvswitch 2.0.0 ?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Nov 19 06:47:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 02:38:40PM +0800, LIU, Kun wrote:
> Hi,I am trying to use openvswitch 2.0.0, but when I wanted to insert
> module brcompat, I cann't find it.  Can anyone tell me how to insert
> brcompat.ko module in version 2.0.0 ? thanks in advance. Well, I once
> used openvswitch 1.9.3 and under the directory datapath/linux I can
> find brcompat.ko...

Q: What happened to the bridge compatibility feature?

A: Bridge compatibility was a feature of Open vSwitch 1.9 and earlier.
   When it was enabled, Open vSwitch imitated the interface of the
   Linux kernel "bridge" module.  This allowed users to drop Open
   vSwitch into environments designed to use the Linux kernel bridge
   module without adapting the environment to use Open vSwitch.

   Open vSwitch 1.10 and later do not support bridge compatibility.
   The feature was dropped because version 1.10 adopted a new internal
   architecture that made bridge compatibility difficult to maintain.
   Now that many environments use OVS directly, it would be rarely
   useful in any case.

   To use bridge compatibility, install OVS 1.9 or earlier, including
   the accompanying kernel modules (both the main and bridge
   compatibility modules), following the instructions that come with
   the release.  Be sure to start the ovs-brcompatd daemon.