[ovs-discuss] Openflow 1.3 : Error sending features request: Protocol error

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Nov 19 16:14:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 02:29:06PM +0100, Windhya Rankothge wrote:
> We have the SDN network implemented using
> switch models: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
> Firmware: OpenWRT 10.03 (backfire)
> OpenFlow: 1.3 from
> https://github.com/CPqD/ofsoftswitch13/wiki/OpenFlow-1.3-for-OpenWRTand
> the NOX cotroller from https://github.com/CPqD/nox13oflib
> When I start the NOX controller, I get following error..
>
> admins at sdn-ctl1:~/nox13oflib/build/src$ ./nox_core -i ptcp:6633
>
> NOX 0.9.0(zaku)~full~beta (nox_core), compiled Nov 19 2013 14:09:43
> Compiled with OpenFlow 0x04
> 00001|openflow|WARN:stream: version negotiation failed: we support versions
> 0x04 to 0x04 inclusive but peer supports no later than version 0x01
> 00002|nox|WARN:Error sending features request: Protocol error
>
> Could you plese help me with this and thank you in advance..

Q: What versions of OpenFlow does Open vSwitch support?

A: Open vSwitch 1.9 and earlier support only OpenFlow 1.0 (plus
   extensions that bring in many of the features from later versions
   of OpenFlow).

   Open vSwitch 1.10 and later have experimental support for OpenFlow
   1.2 and 1.3.  On these versions of Open vSwitch, the following
   command enables OpenFlow 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 on bridge br0:

       ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 protocols=OpenFlow10,OpenFlow12,OpenFlow13

   Open vSwitch version 1.12 and later will have experimental support
   for OpenFlow 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.  On these versions of Open vSwitch,
   the following command enables OpenFlow 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 on
   bridge br0:

       ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 protocols=OpenFlow10,OpenFlow11,OpenFlow12,OpenFlow13

   Use the -O option to enable support for later versions of OpenFlow
   in ovs-ofctl.  For example:

       ovs-ofctl -O OpenFlow13 dump-flows br0

   Support for OpenFlow 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 is still incomplete.  Work
   to be done is tracked in OPENFLOW-1.1+ in the Open vSwitch sources
   (also via http://openvswitch.org/development/openflow-1-x-plan/).
   When support for a given OpenFlow version is solidly implemented,
   Open vSwitch will enable that version by default.