[ovs-discuss] Problems allowing CARP protocol over ovs

C. L. Martinez carlopmart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 11:48:32 UTC 2013

Hi all,

 I am doing some tests with two openbsd virtualized fws using CARP
protocol under an ubuntu KVM host using openvswitch for virtual
bridges.

 My problem is with multicast under ovs. CARP uses a multicast MAC
address that being mapped to a unicast IP. It can also works with
unicast or using stealth mode (in this mode CARP never sends packets
with its virtual MAC address as source).

 http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=carp&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+5.4&arch=i386&format=html

 I have tried all three modes, but it doesn't works with openvswitch
and I have tried to disable STP without luck.

 Any idea?? CARP is very similar to VRRP ...