[ovs-discuss] Problems allowing CARP protocol over ovs

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:09:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 1:48 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com>wrote:

>  I am doing some tests with two openbsd virtualized fws using CARP
> protocol under an ubuntu KVM host using openvswitch for virtual
> bridges.
>
>  My problem is with multicast under ovs. CARP uses a multicast MAC
> address that being mapped to a unicast IP. It can also works with
> unicast or using stealth mode (in this mode CARP never sends packets
> with its virtual MAC address as source).

What is the exact behaviour you're seeing?  Are you getting master/master
on your CARP nodes, or are there other errors?  Does your CARP setup work
if you're not using OVS?

Are you running OVS in normal bridge mode, or using it with an OpenFlow
controller?  Also, if you have a packet trace on the incoming OVS
interfaces that might be useful for debugging.

--
Nick