[ovs-discuss] reg. kernel flow tables and u-space wild card tables

ESWAR RAO eswar7028 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 05:01:03 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am new to openvswitch.
Please correct me if my below understanding is wrong:

Openvswitch has mainly 2 sets of tables:
(1) exact match table/rule table in datapath (kernel)
(2) wild card table/flow table in in-memory ( user space)

Recently used flows gets added in datapath table which has only limited
entries and expiry interval is around 5 sec.

Through openflow we can add flow entries in only u-space tables which has
slow lookup compared to kernel exact match tables.

Please let me know why we cant add direct flows in kernel flow tables since
its fast (as per my understanding they can be added through ovs-dpctl only)
through openflow ?? Since kernel lookup would be fast why we add flows to
u-space???

Thanks
Eswar