[ovs-discuss] Adding VLAN tag to GRE Tunnel Header

Kevan McColgan kevan.mccolgan at intunenetworks.com
Tue Oct 1 16:19:43 UTC 2013

Apologies for the noob questions on this Ben. Just trying to get up to speed on ovs.

We have ovs bridge config now as this:
[root at openstacksrv1 ~]# ovs-vsctl show
0f9e6128-e3fd-41d1-9ad5-ca8d68edf015
    Bridge br-ex
        Port br-ex
            Interface br-ex
                type: internal
    Bridge br-tunnel
        Port "eth12"
            trunks: [15]
            Interface "eth12"
        Port br-tunnel
            Interface br-tunnel
                type: internal
        Port "tep0"
            Interface "tep0"
                type: internal
    Bridge br-int
        Port br-int
            Interface br-int
                type: internal
        Port "qvo63e93ace-1f"
            tag: 7
            Interface "qvo63e93ace-1f"
        Port "qvo238d5143-07"
            tag: 7
            Interface "qvo238d5143-07"
        Port "gre0"
            Interface "gre0"
                type: gre
        Port "tap34cd9349-6f"
            tag: 7
            Interface "tap34cd9349-6f"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "1.11.0"

eth12 is our physical nic.

We also have the flow configured as you explained:
[root at openstacksrv1 ~]# ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-tunnel
NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):
 cookie=0x0, duration=1522.486s, table=0, n_packets=1169, n_bytes=50890, idle_age=2, in_port=1 actions=mod_vlan_vid:15,output:4
 cookie=0x0, duration=354710.137s, table=0, n_packets=379432, n_bytes=30875843, idle_age=0, hard_age=65534, priority=0 actions=NORMAL

<The opposite side of the gre tunnel is configured similarly.>

However, no packets are getting out of eth12 interface now.

When we remove mod_vlan_vid:15 - everything works as expected.

How do we get packets out the eth12 interface with a tag added to the tunnel header?

Thanks,
Kevan.