[ovs-discuss] Open vswitch and an existing vlan

Maxwell Bottiger sleepylight at jive-turkey.net
Wed Oct 2 20:11:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm working off the the tutorial in the open vswitch VLANS cookbook.  I've
followed the directions as best I could, but I still don't have things
quite working correctly.  To start with, here is my configuration:

d70e42a8-1b7e-433d-a2c2-921e3c720e8e
    Bridge "bridge0"
        Port "tap1"
            tag: 2
            Interface "tap1"
        Port "eth1"
            tag: 666
            trunks: [2, 6]
            Interface "eth1"
        Port "tap0"
            tag: 6
            Interface "tap0"
        Port "bridge0"
            Interface "bridge0"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "1.4.3"

I have eth1 of my workstation connected to the trunked port on one of my
switches.  The trunk VLAN is 666 on this setup.  I have two tap interfaces
defined, one should be on VLAN 6, the other on VLAN 2.  The desired outcome
is to have a virtual machine on tap0 connect straight through to VLAN6, and
a vm on tap1 connect directly through to the other resources on VLAN2.  I'm
not sure if having a trunk with an odd PVID is throwing me off, or if
there's something more I need to set.  I looked at eth1 with wireshark, and
I can see traffic from all the other VLANs, so I'm pretty sure that
connection is solid.  I saw in other emails in the archive that people
often wanted to see the ovs-ofctl output, so I'll include that too.

OFPT_FEATURES_REPLY (xid=0x1): ver:0x1, dpid:0000001b21cbbbcd
n_tables:255, n_buffers:256
features: capabilities:0xc7, actions:0xfff
 1(eth1): addr:00:1b:21:cb:bb:cd
     config:     0
     state:      0
     current:    1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
     advertised: 10MB-HD 10MB-FD 100MB-HD 100MB-FD 1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
     supported:  10MB-HD 10MB-FD 100MB-HD 100MB-FD 1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
 2(tap0): addr:d6:f4:0f:aa:d8:ce
     config:     0
     state:      0
     current:    10MB-FD COPPER
 3(tap1): addr:1e:a4:bd:31:42:35
     config:     0
     state:      LINK_DOWN
     current:    10MB-FD COPPER
 LOCAL(bridge0): addr:00:1b:21:cb:bb:cd
     config:     0
     state:      0
OFPT_GET_CONFIG_REPLY (xid=0x3): frags=normal miss_send_len=0

Any insight would be appreciated.  I think I'm running out of ideas to
google.

-Max