[ovs-discuss] Fwd: 802.1ag CFM in OVS

Aman Sharma amansh.sharma5 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 03:45:01 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to test CFM Link monitoring in the openvswitch.

My Test Setup is given Below:

Linux_Machine_1 -----------OVS_switch_1 ----------------------OVS-switch_2
--------------------------------Linux_machine_2

In this, I am using four Machines having Openvswitch installed in it. Here
are My scenarios :

1. Firstly run the CFM in the linux_machine_1 and Linux_machine_2 using the
command :

Linux_machine_1    :  ovs-vsctl set Interface eth0 cfm_mpid=4000

Linux_machine_2    :  ovs-vsctl set Interface eth0 cfm_mpid=5000

And I am using Unique MPID  on all the machines.

So ,In this case if the link between the OVS_switch_1 and OVS_switch_2 goes
down then it shows a message on both the linux machine that link is down in
the network.

It shows like this :
Received no CCM from RMP 2000 in the last 6954ms
2013-10-02T05:50:52Z|00031|cfm|INFO|eth0: CFM faults changed from [] to
[recv].
This is fine.

2. Secondly run the CFM on both the linux machine and both the OVS-switches
using the same command having different MPIDS. Then if the link between the
OVS_switch_1 and OVS_switch_2 goes down then the message not goes to the
both Linux machines.It Means that the ENdpoints are not aware of the Link
failure . I think it should not happen or it is some configuration error.
Or it may be that the OVS switches should act as MIP Maintenance
Intermediate point.If yes then what is the configuration for the same.
And in this CCM packets only goes to the next connected port of the
machine.So how the last endpoint gets aware about the link failure in the
network.

Please solve my query regarding this.
Thanks for help in advance.

Thanks & regards