[ovs-discuss] Testing OVS

Finucane, Stephen stephen.finucane at intel.com
Tue Oct 8 13:31:10 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a question on the testing practices of OVS that I'd like some assistance with if possible.

It is my understanding that there are two test "frameworks" available for Open vSwitch (OVS) - ovs-testsuite and OFTest. The former is an OVS-specific collection of unit tests that are designed to test atomic pieces of the code (as with all unit tests). This is written in GNU Autotest with supporting Python scripts. The latter is a generic test suite designed to test OpenFlow (OF) compatibility in a target switch (OVS in this case). This, in turn, is written in Python. (Correct me if I've any of this wrong so far)

Now these tests cover a large portion of the code base and ensure compatibility with OF respectively but I fail to see how either tests the fundamental functionality of the vSwitch - that is that if you send in packets on a real interface (like eth0) you will get packets out the other side (or not, depending on the actions applied). I imagine such as test would require traffic generation on the real ports and no test includes this. Therefore, does a "test harness" exist for testing such functionality and is it publicly available? If not, is there any reason why not?

Many thanks for any help offered,

Regards,
Stephen
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare