[ovs-discuss] How does OpenvSwitch buffer the packet inside packet-in message

Xiaoye Sun Xiaoye.Sun at rice.edu
Thu Oct 10 22:16:14 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am new in ovs and really need your help.

I have a question about how ovs buffers a packet.
In OpenFlow protocol, if a packet does not match any rule in a flow table,
the packet will be buffered at the switch. The switch will then send a
packet-in message to an OpenFlow controller. The buffered packet will be
popped after a packet-in message (containing the id of that packet) is sent
back to the switch.

Does anyone know which part of the ovs code implement this packet buffering
function? I am using v1.9.3 and other versions are also welcome.

Thanks,

Best,
Xiaoye

--
Xiaoye (Steven) Sun, Ph.D. Student
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) & Department of