[ovs-discuss] RHEL patch to support GRE tunnels

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Oct 11 23:16:32 UTC 2013

This seems reasonable to me but Guru knows this better than me so I'd
like his input.  Guru?

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 06:16:02PM +0200, Madko wrote:
> btw, I know it's a bit off-topic, but do you know if it's possible to make
> an ovs gre port to point to an native gre interface on a remote host? The
> remote host doesn't have openvswitch... tcpdump shows some gre traffic on
> the remote host, but marked as "Unknown Ethernet type" or TEB on more
> recent tcpdump. Any idea?

GRE can encapsulate multiple kinds of traffic.  Open vSwitch only
supports Ethernet (L2) traffic inside a tunnel.  Sufficiently new
Linux supports Ethernet (L2) and IP (L3) traffic inside a GRE tunnel.
L2 is a newer feature though so you need to configure it.  I don't
know off-hand how one does that but perhaps that's enough to find it.