[ovs-discuss] Trouble to understand OpenVSwitch behaviour

Henning Rogge henning.rogge at fkie.fraunhofer.de
Wed Oct 16 05:47:33 UTC 2013

On 10/15/2013 07:09 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 03:29:06PM +0200, Henning Rogge wrote:
>> Now I want to add the second interface to the ovs bridge, but as soon as
>> I run "add-port br0 wlan0" I loose connectivity to the services on the
>> bridge through interface eth0.
>>
>> I still have connectivity through interface wlan0 (and its IP address).
>
> The FAQ says:
>
> Q: I can't seem to use Open vSwitch in a wireless network.
>
> A: Wireless base stations generally only allow packets with the source
>    MAC address of NIC that completed the initial handshake.
>    Therefore, without MAC rewriting, only a single device can
>    communicate over a single wireless link.
>
>    This isn't specific to Open vSwitch, it's enforced by the access
>    point, so the same problems will show up with the Linux bridge or
>    any other way to do bridging.

I know the problems receiving and sending packets through a wifi
interface, but that is not directly related to my current problem.

I try to understand why my connection through the ethernet interface to
the local port of the ovs bridge stops when I add the wifi interface to
the bridge.

No traffic through the wifi interface necessary at all at this point.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE