[ovs-discuss] Need help with OpenvSwitch setup on Physical Nodes

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Fri Oct 18 16:40:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Seetharam, Sripriya (MU-Student) <
ssn68 at mail.missouri.edu> wrote:

>  Hello All,****
>
> ** **
>
> I need help with the following use case of two bare metal nodes running
> OpenvSwitch on them and connected on a Layer 2 VLAN. I have OpenDaylight
> controller running on a remote VM. I’m attaching the topology below.****
>
> [image: Description: Description: cid:image001.png at 01CEC99F.FAB593F0]****
>
> As you can see in the picture, I have OvS running directly on the bare
> metal node and not on any virtual machine/hypervisor. Both nodes are
> geographically distributed and are connected by a point to point VLAN 1751
> through the physical interface eth2.1751****
>
> ** **
>
> My goal: I would like to control the flows coming out of both nodes based
> on packet type and direct to Layer2 or Layer 3 VLAN accordingly.****
>
> ** **
>
> Current status: ****
>
> Installed OvS and created a OvS bridge br0 on both nodes and attached
> eth2.1751 physical port to the OvS bridge.****
>
> I set the private ip address of eth2.1751 to OvS bridge on both nodes and
> added a route entry for br0. ****
>
> Set the ODL controller on the remote VM on both nodes and I can see that
> the controller detects both the OvS.****
>
> ** **
>
> Problem: I cannot ping both nodes when the controller is set since it is
> unable to detect the input interface of the bare metal nodes to direct the
> OpenvSwitch.  Till now, OpenVswitch has been used most often in a virtual
> environment and can detect the virtual input ports and map it accordingly
> to the physical ports. But in my case, since I have OvS running on the
> physical host itself, I’m not sure how to handle this use case.

Without the controller, you can ping from "br0" of the 2 OVS's? If not, try
and figure out whats going on there.
>From what you are saying it looks to me that the "controller" does not have
a configuration option to add flows for the packets coming in from
interface "br0". You can probably workaround the problem by adding another
interface to "br0" which mimics a vif interface of the VM but does not have
any VM actually connected to it. (ovs-vsctl add-port br0 p0 -- set
interface p0 type=internal).

Eitherways, it is not a Open vSwitch limitation in any sense. You may ask
the same question in the Open Daylight forum to see if the controller can
do something like this.