[ovs-discuss] communication among VMs in multiple physical hosts

Alex Wang alexw at nicira.com
Fri Oct 18 21:24:05 UTC 2013

Hey,

>From FAQ:

"""
Q: I created a bridge and added my Ethernet port to it, using commands
   like these:

       ovs-vsctl add-br br0
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0

   and as soon as I ran the "add-port" command I lost all connectivity
   through eth0.  Help!

A: A physical Ethernet device that is part of an Open vSwitch bridge
   should not have an IP address.  If one does, then that IP address
   will not be fully functional.

   You can restore functionality by moving the IP address to an Open
   vSwitch "internal" device, such as the network device named after
   the bridge itself.  For example, assuming that eth0's IP address is
   192.168.128.5, you could run the commands below to fix up the
   situation:

       ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
       ifconfig br0 192.168.128.5
"""