[ovs-discuss] ovsdb-server, ovs-vsctl and ovs-vswitchd unix domain socket default file

Lucas Brasilino lucas.brasilino at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 22:17:35 UTC 2013

Hi Ben

>> Any special reason for that ?
>
> Different sockets need different names?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but as far I have noticed, they
use this unix domain socket to communicate with each other.
ovs-vsctl and ovs-vswitchd connect()'s to <path>/db.sock
while ovsdb-server listen()'s to <path>/ovsdb-server.$PID.ctl as
default. So I had to set

ovsdb-server --remote=punix:<path>/db.sock

to both ovs-vsctl and ovs-vswitchd communicate with ovsdb-server.
That's why I asked, 'cause seems to me that
all three should default to the same unix domain socket file.

Lucas Brasilino