[ovs-discuss] IPFIX stops sending

Glenn McGuire glennm at a-bb.net
Tue Sep 3 18:43:22 UTC 2013

I've been trying to work with the IPFIX support in recent versions of
Openvswitch, and have run across the following behavior:

When I configure an OpenFlow controller, the IPFIX messages stop being sent.

On my most recent install (Ubuntu 12.x / 3.5.0-23 and ovs 2.0.0 presumably
compiled with the system default compiler - gcc 4.6.3)
 IPFIX messages continue as soon as I delete the controller configuration
(with ovs-vsctl del-controller)
This includes sending a new set of templates, which makes sense since there
is a timeout check in the send routine.
(My previous install was on a CentOS host in usermode and had some
stability issues that hid this behavior behind lockups and the occasional
crash)

My first suspect from glancing through the code is that it's hanging on a
mutex, but a cursory inspection of the code shows consistent mutex use.

Has anyone seen this?
Do other folks use IPFIX with a controller?