[ovs-discuss] Encapsulating IP only in GRE with OVS

Andrei Andone andrei.andone at softvision.ro
Thu Sep 12 06:41:40 UTC 2013

Hello Paul,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Could you please provide a
side by side comparison with how the package looks and how you would
want it to look like?

Because what I understand now is that you want the GRE tunnel to send
non-encapsulated messages to it's remote end point. And if you would be
able to do that, the remote end point wouldn't know how to interpret the
package and would just drop it.

Have a nice day,
Andrei

On 09/12/2013 07:19 AM, Paul Congdon wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is a way to encapsulate just an IP packet in
> GRE using OVS instead of doing only doing transparent bridging of
> entire L2 frames. Are there ways to setup the flow actions to strip
> off the MAC header and change the protocol field of the GRE header to
> 0x800 before forwarding off to the tunnel interface?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Andrei Andone

SOFTVISION | 57 Republicii Street, 400489 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Email: andrei.andone at softvision.ro <mailto:andrei.andone at softvision.ro>
| Web: www.softvision.ro <http://www.softvision.ro>

The content of this communication is classified as SOFTVISION
Confidential and Proprietary Information.