[ovs-discuss] With and Without ovs-controller

kevin parker kevin.parker092 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 11:02:56 UTC 2013

Hi,
         I am new to OVS and trying to understand OVS working.

*With out controller:*
                           On my kvm host(ubuntu 12.04)  i have
ovs-vswitchd running with out any controller.
version 1.6.9

In this case i guess ovs is not working as open flow based switch.

as "ovs-ofctl  dump-flows " is only showing default flow.
but still able to see flows in "ovs-dpctl dump-flows "
*
*
*1. *Are these flows same as flows created when connected to a controller?.

*2. *Are these flows generated by user space process ovs-vswitchd?

*3. *Isn't flow crucial for packet to flow through data path,if it is not
always necessary to create flow (as per old mailing list) why it creates
flow :-)

*With ovs-controller*

Added ovs to ovs-controller on different host and able to see flows
generated on ovs-controller console,but as per man page of ovs-controller
*"*
*ovs-controller manages any number of remote switches over OpenFlow pro-*
*       tocol, causing them to function as L2 MAC-learning switches or hub"*
*
*
*4* So from above man page, if with out any controller which mode does ovs
work?
*
*
*5.*Why ovs-vswitchd was consuming CPU even with separate controller and
controller generating flows instead of ovs-vswitchd.

Hope someone can answer these simple questions and help understand OVS
better.

Regards,
kev