[ovs-discuss] With and Without ovs-controller

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Sep 12 16:51:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 04:32:56PM +0530, kevin parker wrote:
>          I am new to OVS and trying to understand OVS working.
>
> *With out controller:*
>                            On my kvm host(ubuntu 12.04)  i have
> ovs-vswitchd running with out any controller.
> version 1.6.9

This is a very odd choice of version, especially since we never released
a version 1.6.9.

> In this case i guess ovs is not working as open flow based switch.

It's a pretty pathological example of one, since there's only one flow.

> as "ovs-ofctl  dump-flows " is only showing default flow.
> but still able to see flows in "ovs-dpctl dump-flows "
> *
> *
> *1. *Are these flows same as flows created when connected to a controller?.

That's an odd question.  No, they aren't the same, otherwise why would
it be worthwhile to connect a controller?

> *2. *Are these flows generated by user space process ovs-vswitchd?

Yes.

> *3. *Isn't flow crucial for packet to flow through data path,if it is not
> always necessary to create flow (as per old mailing list) why it creates
> flow :-)

I don't understand this question.

> *With ovs-controller*

Don't use ovs-controller.  It is a test program, not a useful part of a
deployment.