[ovs-discuss] Meter ID differs for Meter Mod compared to Flow Instruction

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Sep 12 21:32:43 UTC 2013

Sorry about the delayed response.

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 02:54:21PM +0200, Dirk van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi Guys
> I have noticed that the meter ID passed down to the ofproto is different
> for when a meter mod is requested, compared to when a meter instruction is
> added to a flow.
>
> It seems as though there is no translation of the meter ID to the ofproto's
> interpretation of the meter ID when adding meter instructions.
>
> I am wondering if there should be a call to 'ofproto_get_provider_meter_id'
> for adding flow metering instructions (in ofproto.c), as this is done for
> meter mod messages. Or is it supposed to happen down the line somewhere
> else?

We're starting to notice some apparent deficiencies in the API now too,
as we (specifically Jarno) start to work on a Linux kernel metering
implementation.  You might have seen his patch series from the weekend,
starting here:
        http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2013-September/031617.html

I guess the summary is, "we're working on it" ;-)