[ovs-discuss] VLAN configuration using openvswitch

nisha goyal nisha.goyal1987 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:23:38 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am working on a project where we create multiple vms on a host machine.
There are multiple hosts of this kind. These hosts are connected to a
single LAN and the VMs are created using KVM. Qemu and libvirt are used
alongwith. There is a requirement where I need to create multiple VLANs
such that some VMs on a host can be a part of one VLAN and the rest could
be a part of another VLAN. These VLANs are also spread across multiple
hosts.

I was trying to achieve this using openvswitch but failed to succeed. I
have followed many solutions available online but I am left in a confused
state. Please help me.

I am not clear if openvswitch creates the VLANs or we need to create the
VLANs at our end and openvswitch just helps in configuring those with the
VMS?

If openvswitch creates the VLANs then what is the way to go?All the
configuration that I have tried gives me an error at some point or the
other. Please point me to the right direction.

Regards,
Nisha