[ovs-discuss] enabling trunk for multiple on openvswitch

nisha goyal nisha.goyal1987 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 12:56:56 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I am a newbie to openvswitch and I have configured my openvswitch
configuration on top of ubuntu 12.04 as follows:

create ovs bridge:
ovs-vsctl add-br br0

Add physical nic as port on bridge:
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0

Add vms on vlans with tags 100 and 200:
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet0 tag=100   --- vm1
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet1 tag=100   --- vm2
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet2 tag=200   --- vm3

This configuration works perfectly i.e. the vms vm1 and vm2 are able to
ping each other but not vm3 until the networking is restarted.

There are two problems that I am facing now:
1) when the networking service is restarted, the vms configuration gets
erased from the ovs-vsctl. and "ovs-vsctl show" results into:
0e22c494-3f19-4236-b65f-6b3810dd0fc3
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "eth0"
            Interface "eth0"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "1.4.0+build0"

How to make the vms configuration persistent?

2) On which port the trunks are configured? is it br0 or eth0? And say I
make one of them(br0 or eth0) a trunk port using
ovs-vsctl  set port <eth0 or br0> trunks=100,200
Will I be able to ping vm1,vm2 from vm3 and vice versa? If not, then do I
need IP routing for this?

Regards,
- Nisha