[ovs-discuss] Question about Openvswitch and Vlan tag

Rafael Gomes rggg88 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:57:38 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
How are you?
I hope are fine.

Sorry to bother you, but I have a question regarding a "problem" or strange behaviour when I use openvswitch with vlan traffic.
I am using the topology that I sent you in the attached file. I'm trying to ping between host 1 and host 2, encapsulating the traffic of each host in a vlan, more specifically vlan 1000. For that I created four flows to make the ping work but it doesn't, because the rules are not applied. With tshark I can see the traffic enter the switch 01 but it doesn't come out on any port. The flow information is vlan_id = 1000, which is connected to the host port, to come out on port to connected to switch 2.
Also I tried removing the vlan id field from the flow but it still doesn't work, as I supposed. The last test, I tried without encapsulated the host traffic on vlan, so the ping worked.
On other hand, when I test using traffic without encapsulating on vlan, and create flows to set a vlan id and forwarding the traffic filter with the field vlan_id, it works. Due to this, I don't understand what I do wrong.
Best Regards, Rafael