[ovs-discuss] Gre or vlanx tunnel?

Pasquale Dir phate867 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:33:05 UTC 2014

Hello,
I want to connect two or more remote openvswitches so to extend the LAN
across the internet.

What interface type is more suited, gre or vlanx? What's the difference?

Also, for now I am using this schema on each openvswitch:

br-int (no eth0 ports, just nodes I want to connect)
br0 (eth0 port, can communicate over the net)

I would create the gre/vlanx tunnels on br-int while connecting br-int and
br0 throught a patch port so that the tunnel can actually be created.

Is it correct this way or is there any better alternative?

Thanks,
Pasquale