[ovs-discuss] VLAN tagged and untagged with VM and real switch

Qin, Xiaohong Xiaohong.Qin at emc.com
Mon Apr 21 21:32:17 UTC 2014

In the old days, bridge was the gear to connect multiple segments, it has the learning, flooding, and even spanning tree capabilities. But normally you don't use a bridge to configure VLAN, so switch is a superset of bridge that in addition to port address learning, flooding, and spanning tree, it can support VLAN for multiple ports, behind the scene, it introduced the concepts of "cloverleaf intersection", "cut-through switching", "store-and-forward switching", and "fragment-free switch", and CAM, tCAM fast memory access technologies.  The first transparent bridge was developed by DEC and first switch was by Kalpana.

Dennis Qin