[ovs-discuss] can't access host network

Neil Schneider pacneil at linuxgeek.net
Thu Apr 24 19:06:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, April 24, 2014 11:08 am, Gurucharan Shetty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Neil Schneider <pacneil at linuxgeek.net>
> wrote:
>> I have a virtual machine running OpenNebula and using OpenVswitch to
>> configure bridges and networks. For my configuration to work. I need to
>> use OpenNebula to create more VMs on the host. So it needs to reach the
>> host through the two vlans. I've tested extensively and discovered that
>> the VLANs are working correctly. If I create another VM for testing I
>> can
>> access one VM from another VM through the VLAN. So I know the ovswitch
>> is
>> working. What I cannot do is access the host through the VLANs. I
>> checked
>> the FAQ again, but didn't see anything that applies. Do I need to add
>> another virtual port for the host? Any pointer showing how  to make this
>> work, would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can render.
>
> So you want an IP address on the host in a VLAN, right?
>
> Look at 'man ovs-vsctl' and search for:
> [--may-exist] add-br bridge parent vlan
>
> And then you will set an IP address for "bridge" in the above command.

I didn't ask my question very well. I have fake bridges already.

# ovs-vsctl show
c6def17d-2cc6-499e-a461-af4fe9aab78a
    Bridge public
        Port "em1"
            Interface "em1"
        Port "veth0_one"
            Interface "veth0_one"
        Port public
            Interface public
                type: internal
    Bridge storage
        Port "veth2_one"
            Interface "veth2_one"
        Port storage
            Interface storage
                type: internal
        Port "vlan20"
            tag: 20
            Interface "vlan20"
                type: internal
    Bridge management
        Port "veth1_one"
            Interface "veth1_one"
        Port management
            Interface management
                type: internal
        Port "vlan10"
            tag: 10
            Interface "vlan10"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "2.1.0"

I need to connect dom0 to vlan10 and vlan20. I need to be able to connect
from the virtual hosts to the dom0 through openvswitch. I want to use
resources on the host, from OpenNebula running in a virtual host. I can't
access the host, except on the public interface over the public network. I
want to preserve the public interface for public traffic. I want to
connect to dom0 through the vlans. Can I configure a virtual interface to
openvswitch in dom0 ?

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.