[ovs-discuss] can't access host network

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Thu Apr 24 19:41:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Neil Schneider <pacneil at linuxgeek.net> wrote:

> On Thu, April 24, 2014 11:08 am, Gurucharan Shetty wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Neil Schneider <pacneil at linuxgeek.net>
>> wrote:
>>> I have a virtual machine running OpenNebula and using OpenVswitch to
>>> configure bridges and networks. For my configuration to work. I need to
>>> use OpenNebula to create more VMs on the host. So it needs to reach the
>>> host through the two vlans. I've tested extensively and discovered that
>>> the VLANs are working correctly. If I create another VM for testing I
>>> can
>>> access one VM from another VM through the VLAN. So I know the ovswitch
>>> is
>>> working. What I cannot do is access the host through the VLANs. I
>>> checked
>>> the FAQ again, but didn't see anything that applies. Do I need to add
>>> another virtual port for the host? Any pointer showing how  to make this
>>> work, would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can render.
>>
>> So you want an IP address on the host in a VLAN, right?
>>
>> Look at 'man ovs-vsctl' and search for:
>> [--may-exist] add-br bridge parent vlan
>>
>> And then you will set an IP address for "bridge" in the above command.
>>

> I didn't ask my question very well. I have fake bridges already.
I do not know how OpenNebula works, so I am not familiar with some of
the jargons.

> # ovs-vsctl show
> c6def17d-2cc6-499e-a461-af4fe9aab78a
>     Bridge public
>         Port "em1"
>             Interface "em1"
>         Port "veth0_one"
>             Interface "veth0_one"
>         Port public
>             Interface public
>                 type: internal
>     Bridge storage
>         Port "veth2_one"
>             Interface "veth2_one"
>         Port storage
>             Interface storage
>                 type: internal
>         Port "vlan20"
>             tag: 20
>             Interface "vlan20"
>                 type: internal
>     Bridge management
>         Port "veth1_one"
>             Interface "veth1_one"
>         Port management
>             Interface management
>                 type: internal
>         Port "vlan10"
>             tag: 10
>             Interface "vlan10"
>                 type: internal
>     ovs_version: "2.1.0"
>
> I need to connect dom0 to vlan10 and vlan20. I need to be able to connect
> from the virtual hosts to the dom0 through openvswitch. I want to use

Do have 3 entities here? Virtual machine, virtual host and a Dom0?
Or is a "virtual host" and a "virtual machine" the same?

Where is OVS running? Dom0?