[ovs-discuss] Fwd: Regarding installing OVS and issues I am stucked!

Lori Jakab lojakab at cisco.com
Fri Apr 25 10:06:12 UTC 2014

Milson,

On 4/24/14, 11:22 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
> On 24/04/2014 19:53, Milson Munakami wrote:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> So that means openvswitch 2.2.x is NOT Released yet and I am NOT able
>> to use OpenvSwitch with my Ubuntu 14.04 system, right?
>>
> No!! 14.04 already comes with openvswitch 2.0.
>
> (1) Login to your box as root
> (2) Type "apt-get install openvswitch-switch"
> (3) Enjoy using openvswitch

As Brian said, you can use Open vSwitch on Ubuntu Trusty from the
official repositories.  It will use the kernel module from the upstream
Linux kernel, instead of the one shipped with the the Open vSwitch 2.0
source distribution.  Unless you know that you need the extra features
of the out-of-tree module, you're fine with the distribution shipped setup.

If you really-really want to use the out-of-tree module shipped with
OVS, you will have to check out the latest git sources from
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs and build the 'master' branch.

HTH,
-Lori