[ovs-discuss] OVS install on CentOS 7

Gregory Gee gee.developer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:48:29 PDT 2014

   Having problems getting ovsdb started using CentOS 7.  I downloaded
and built OVS 2.1.2 (also tried 2.3.0) using

rpmbuild -bb rhel/openvswitch.spec

   Then installed the RPM.  But when I try and start OVS, ovsdb fails to
start.

[root at localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/openvswitch start
Starting ovsdb-server ovsdb-server: I/O error: /etc/openvswitch/conf.db:
failed to lock lockfile (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[FAILED]
2014-08-30T18:53:09Z|00002|reconnect|WARN|unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock:
connection attempt failed (No such file or directory)
ovs-vsctl: unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock: database connection failed
(No such file or directory)
Starting ovs-vswitchd

  Strange part is that when I try and start ovsdb-server directly, it
seems to start OK.

[root at localhost ~]# ovsdb-server /etc/openvswitch/conf.db
2014-08-30T19:14:24Z|00001|ovsdb_server|INFO|ovsdb-server (Open vSwitch)
2.1.2

   Anyone else get it running in CentOS 7?    I had similar issues just
after installing OVS.

/etc/openvswitch/conf.db does not exist ... (warning).
Creating empty database /etc/openvswitch/conf.db ovsdb-tool: I/O error:
/etc/openvswitch/conf.db: failed to lock lockfile (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
[FAILED]

   Again, when I run the ovsdb-tool manually, it works fine.  Is there
some strange systemd thing preventing me?  Seems like a CentOS issue,
but not sure what.  Note: even though ovsdb-server fails to start, the
ovs-vswitchd start after, but obviously has problems with ovsdb missing.

Thanks,
Greg