[ovs-discuss] About the Hardware VTEP emulator

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Fri Aug 8 18:43:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Mark Maglana <mmaglana at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying out the hardware VTEP emulator that came with OVS
> v2.1.2 and wanted to check if I correctly understand how it works:
>
> 1. I use OVS to create and manage a bridge which will serve as the fake VTEP
Yes. And then this bridge is added as a record in the physical_switch
table of VTEP schema.
Information at

> 2. the python script ovs-vtep synchronizes that fake VTEP with whatever gets
> written to the hardware_vtep database (since OVS has no idea of the latter)
Yes.
More information of setup here: vtep/README.ovs-vtep

> Below is a link to a diagram I created after reading the documentation. Is
> this correct?
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1355795/vtepemulator.JPG

If "eth2" is how you connect your VTEP to other nodes like
Hypervisors, then you should not add it to "br0".
Keep an IP address at eth2.

This will be the IP address you add with
vtep-ctl set Physical_Switch br0 tunnel_ips=192.168.0.3
As mentioned in the README.

I see a block called "VM" in your diagram. I suppose that is meant to
be the "physical_port" of the VTEP. If so, that is correct. You add
that interface name as a port using ovs-vsctl to the VTEP bridge and
also add it using "vtep_ctl" to VTEP's "physical_port" table.