[ovs-discuss] switch port numbers seems to change

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Mon Aug 11 15:04:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Rod N. Melton <rnm at pobox.com> wrote:

> mininet version 2.1.0+
> ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.1.0
> OpenDaylight with OF13
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 in VirtualBox
>

> I have a mininet topology which I created with a python script. I created
>
> a script which uses ovs-ofctl to add flows to the switches.
>
> The problem which I am having is that it seems that when i exit mininet and
>
> OpenDaylight and restart both programs I can see that the mapping between
>
> interface names (example s3-eth1) and port numbers is changing. This means
> that the script I
>
> created for adding flows no longer works. I can see the changes by using
>
> sudo ovs-ofctl show s1
>
> Can someone tell me how to prevent this change when restarting mininet (or
> OpenDaylight or Ubuntu)?

I am not familiar with mininet. Open vSwitch itself should not change
the port numbers after a restart (Otherwise, its a bug).

If they are getting changed, it probably means that a third-party
integration script deletes and re-adds the ports.

You may have better luck with this question in a mininet mailing list.