[ovs-discuss] Failure testing OVS-2.3, cannot ping between hosts after upgrade

Yikai Lin hilarious0401 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 05:02:58 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
    I was first trying to test the MPLS function of OVS with the SDN-hub VM http://sdnhub.org/tutorials/sdn-tutorial-vm/
    This VM includes Mininet 2.1 and OVS 2.1, but it doesn't work well with MPLS: I install flow entry on s1 to push a MPLS label on packets from h1 to h2. The packet is seen on the ingress port, but not the outgress port. When I change the output port to controller, I can see the Labeled-Packetins and Labeled-Packetouts, but then the Packetouts are lost again. So basically the switch is dropping anything with a MPLS label when it is trying to send them out. ( The Packetins and outs are correctly labeled, so I guess the flow entry has nothing to do with it)
    I thought, ok, maybe this version of OVS does not support MPLS well, so I asked Justin for this and he confirmed my thought. And he showed me this https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/tree/branch-2.3 (thx, Justin)
   This is when the problems occured: I git cloned this version of OVS and tried to install it on several VMs, like a completely clean Ubuntu-Server, the Mininet VM(https://github.com/mininet/mininet/wiki/Mininet-VM-Images), and the SDN-hub VM, I need Mininet too. But after installation of this OVS-2.3.90, I can't ping between hosts. The "ovs-vsctl show" command shows that the current version of OVS is 2.3.90, and no error reports for ovsdb or any other. The Mininet is running just fine, no errors reported, except that hosts CANNOT PING. I try with both local ovs-controller and remote controller ( in this case, Floodlight-Plus which supports OF1.3), neither work. It only works when I install the flow entries myself with the "ovs-ofctl add-flow" command, so I guess the problem lies in the connection between controller and OVS, but I couldn't tell what is wrong coz the "ovs-vsctl list controller" command shows that the controller is correctly connected. The console of FL+ shows that the switch is connected too, but it just CANNOT PING.
    Does anyone know what's going on here? I followed the instruciton here http://techandtrains.com/2013/10/24/another-way-to-upgrade-open-vswitch-in-mininet/ to upgrade the OVS in Mininet with my version of 2.3.90. I also tried to install Mininet first, and then run "./install.sh -r" to remove OVS, and then install OVS-2.3.90 under the instruction here https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/branch-2.3/INSTALL. Neither way reported any error, so I can't tell where is wrong, except that ovs-controller is not included in OVS-2.3.90, so I couldn't run Mininet by default, I had to connect to a remote controller, this is fine though, but sadly a remote controller didn't work either.
    I had no idea which part went wrong during this process, I don't have much knowledge on how Mininet and OVS are installed and how they work, so I can't tell whether the instructions above have introduced any problems. My main goal is to use Mininet and OVS to test MPLS funtion, so if anyone knows how I can achieve this goal, plz tell me. And if anyone knows what I have done wrong in the aforementioned process, plz tell me too.
    Thx a lot.

----
Best regards,
Yikai

Research Intern
Institute for Network Sciences and Cyberspace,
Tsinghua University

Senior Student
Schoold of Information and Communication Engineering,
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications