[ovs-discuss] Error Installing openvswitch-datapath-dkms on ubuntu 12.04.5

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Aug 28 20:10:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 02:36:51PM +0000, MCGRATH, GIL wrote:
> I am getting the following error doing the following:
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> # apt-get install openvswitch-switch openvswitch-controller openvswitch-datapath-dkms openvswitch-brcompat

Your output suggests that you are uses OVS 1.4.6 with Linux 3.11:
> Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.11.0-26-generic (x86_64)
> Consult /var/lib/dkms/openvswitch/1.4.6/build/make.log for more information.

These versions do not work with each other.  Please consult the FAQ:

Q: What Linux kernel versions does each Open vSwitch release work with?

A: The following table lists the Linux kernel versions against which the
   given versions of the Open vSwitch kernel module will successfully
   build.  The Linux kernel versions are upstream kernel versions, so
   Linux kernels modified from the upstream sources may not build in
   some cases even if they are based on a supported version.  This is
   most notably true of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) kernels, which
   are extensively modified from upstream.

   Open vSwitch   Linux kernel
   ------------   -------------
       1.4.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.5.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.6.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.7.x      2.6.18 to 3.3
       1.8.x      2.6.18 to 3.4
       1.9.x      2.6.18 to 3.8
       1.10.x     2.6.18 to 3.8
       1.11.x     2.6.18 to 3.8
       2.0.x      2.6.32 to 3.10
       2.1.x      2.6.32 to 3.11
       2.2.x      2.6.32 to 3.14

   Open vSwitch userspace should also work with the Linux kernel module
   built into Linux 3.3 and later.

   Open vSwitch userspace is not sensitive to the Linux kernel version.
   It should build against almost any kernel, certainly against 2.6.32
   and later.

Since you are using Linux 3.11, you can skip building any separate
kernel module and just use the openvswitch module supplied with your
kernel.