[ovs-discuss] flow rule for incoming GRE packets

Rod N. Melton rnm at pobox.com
Sat Aug 30 19:07:46 UTC 2014

using mininet 2.1.0+ and OVS 2.1.0

I have set up a GRE tunnel between two virtual machines.
VM1=192.168.56.103 and VM2 = 192.168.56.101. The tunnel works correctly;
i can ping the inner addresses from one side to the other.

I can see that the GRE header is correct in wireshark. i can see that
when the ICMP packet comes out of the tunnel on VM2, the switch is using
reactive forwarding (PACKET_IN, PACKET_OUT to Floodlight controller) to
get the packet to its destination host. I would like to add a flow rule
to the switch on VM2 so that reactive
 forwarding is not used by the VM2 switch. I have tried many versions of
the following flow rule in VM2:

sudo ovs-ofctl -O OpenFlow13 add-flow s2
cookie=5,ip,tun_dst=192.168.56.101/24,idle_timeout=90,actions=output:flood

i have tried matching on tun_id, tun_src, tun_dst but the incoming ICMP
is never taking my flow rule. Is it possible to match on a packet coming
GRE packet? What would i match on in the flow rule?

Thanks,

Rod Melton