[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] Support for MCAST_Snooping

Flavio Leitner fbl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 12:39:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 03:16:34PM +0530, Aman Kumar wrote:
> > It supports only IGMPv1 and IGMPv2, so make sure the membership
> reports are using either one of those versions.
>
> The multicast snooping works as part of action NORMAL, so if you
> are steering your traffic using other flow actions, then it wouldn't
> work.
>
> Yes, action is NORMAL. I am using Ubuntu-12.04 and man page of Ubuntu says
> variables net.inet.igmp.v2enable and  net.inet.igmp.v1enable are enabled by
> default in the link  "
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man4/igmp.4freebsd.html" . But
> i am not able to see these variables in any of the files . I checked
> /etc/sysctl.conf file also, but i didn't find anything in this file.
>
> Can you please help me how to check IGMPv1 and IGMPv2 is enabled  or not in
> Ubuntu-12.04 ?

You just need to run the command below on any Linux system to force
the IGMP version 2:
# echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/force_igmp_version

If I recall correctly, it doesn't change opened sockets/running apps,
so you need to run the above first and then run the mcast app.

This is on my host running ovs bridge from master branch of today:
# ovs-vsctl set Bridge ovsbr0 mcast_snooping_enable=true
[... run the mcast client app in the VM ...]
# ovs-appctl mdb/show ovsbr0
 port  VLAN  GROUP                Age
    4     0  225.1.1.1            11

fbl