[ovs-discuss] kernel panic receiving flooded VXLAN traffic with OVS

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 22:47:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com> wrote:

> I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with aggregating TCP
> segments in VXLAN that are not destined for the local host. This is
> conceptually the same as doing aggregation for TCP packets where we
> only perform L2 bridging - in theory we shouldn't look at the upper
> layers but it is fine as long as we faithfully reconstruct it on the
> way out.

But you don't faithfully reconstruct what the user originally sent -
in-path reassembly is always wrong, which is why hardware switches don't do
it (by default, anyhow).  If you configure a middlebox to do some kind of
assembly/translation/whatever work for you, that's fine, but something that
advertises itself as a "switch" or "router" should definitely not do this
by default.

If you reassemble frames you completely obviate any kind of PMTU-D or
configured MTU that your user is using, and this breaks a lot of paths.  We
completely disable all GRO/TSO/etc., but if you are able to determine that
a packet is not destined for the local host you should definitely not
mutate it.

--
Nick