[ovs-discuss] Any way to pass VXLAN header all the way to the VM ?

Farhad Sunavala fsbiz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 22:24:18 UTC 2014

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the suggestion.
If I bridge the physical interface of VTEP2 (eth0) to vnet0 (tap interface of VM2)  (firstly, how do I do that?)VM1--VTEP1===(eth0) VTEP2 (vnet0)--VM2
Secondly,  I do want the return traffic from VM2 to use the tunnel port when it is sending traffic back to a VM on VTEP1.
I guess I just want confirmation that short of modifying code, I cannot program the flow tables to achieve what I want to do.
Programming a flow in the flow table to match the VNI on the physical interface and output the packet to VM2 always strips off the VXLAN header.   Is there anyway I can bypass this behaviour ?
thanks,Farhad.

     On Monday, December 15, 2014 11:03 AM, Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com> wrote:

 On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Farhad Sunavala <fsbiz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a very basic configuration.
>
> VM1--VTEP1====VTEP2--VM2
>

> VXLAN between VTEP1 and VTEP2.
>
> Is there any way I can pass the VXLAN header to the virtual machines using
> the flow tables or any other means without modifying the code?      I need
> the VXLAN header to pass from VTEP2 to VM2.

You can just bridge the physical Ethernet device into the VM without
using a VXLAN port to terminate the tunnel.