[ovs-discuss] Error seen while installing OVS with DPDK

Shankari Vaidyalingam shankari.v.2014 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 15:48:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm new to OVS and trying to install OVS with DPDK.

Followed the steps given in INSTALL.DPDK.md file.

 I have downloaded latest tar ball of both OVS and DPDK.

DPDK version - 1.7.1

OVS version - 2.3.1

Operating system - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64 bit)

Please note that I have installed Python version 3.3.5.

But still it complains that python is missing.

When I try to run make I get the following error:

It would be great if someone can let me how to resolve this error.

libtool: link: gcc -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -Wextra -Wno-sign-compare
-Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wformat-security
-Wno-format-zero-length -Wswitch-enum -Wunused-parameter -Wstrict-aliasing
-Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-field-initializers -g -O2 -O0 --coverage --coverage -o
ovsdb/ovsdb-server ovsdb/ovsdb-server.o  ovsdb/.libs/libovsdb.a
lib/.libs/libopenvswitch.a -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread -lrt -lm
PYTHONPATH=./python":"./python/compat":"$PYTHONPATH
PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=yes /bin/bash
/home/controller/PoC/LLDP/openvswitch-2.3.1/build-aux/missing --run python
./ovsdb/ovsdb-doc \
        --title="ovs-vswitchd.conf.db" \
         \
        --version=2.3.1 \
        ./vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema \
        ./vswitchd/vswitch.xml > vswitchd/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5.tmp
/home/controller/PoC/LLDP/openvswitch-2.3.1/build-aux/missing: line 52:
python: command not found
WARNING: `python' is needed, and is missing on your system.
         You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequisites for installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
         some other package would contain this missing `python' program.
make[2]: *** [vswitchd/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/controller/PoC/LLDP/openvswitch-2.3.1'
mmake: *** [all] Error 2