[ovs-discuss] Limit flow table

Édouard Thuleau thuleau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:55:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

I proposed to implement a local ARP responder (thanks to that patch
[1]) onto the OpenStack Neutron project [2].

Like it's explained in that diagram [3], I set a specific tables (21)
where all ARP requests are sent.
The flows in this table match VLAN ID and ARP target IP to transform
the request to the ARP response and resubmit it to the incoming port.
So a flow will be added for each foreign IPs of networks where the OVS
agent have a port.

A question was ask on the review about the scalability of flow into
OVS. Is there some limitations?
I'm not able to answer to that question. Could you help me? Do you
think we could meet some scalability issues with that implementation?

[1] http://git.openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=commitdiff;h=f6c8a6b163af343c66aea54953553d84863835f7
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/49227/
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ovs-flow-logic#OVS_flows_logic_with_local_ARP_responder

Édouard.