[ovs-discuss] Not able to ping to the ovs switch connected interface from virtual port.

mr Aryabhatta mr_aryabhatta at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 12:13:35 UTC 2014

Hi
I have one ovs swith [s3] in the ubuntu.

s3 connected to p4p1 system interface and we have dhclient IP configured with s3 now.

after dropping p4p1 and bind the dhcp to s3, the host is working fine.

I have added a ip tuntap tap port [vhp1] to the s3. This interface is used as bridge to host a gust ubuntu within virtual box.

The gust ubuntu able to get the DHCP IP.

But when the gust ubuntu is trying to ping to host ubuntu there is no reply.

I taken tcp dump at vhp1 and s3.

vhp1 shows all the ping messages. The mac address shows in the pcap is from guest host eth0 to p4p1 mac.

The s3 interface tcpdump does not show any message from the gust ubuntu.

There is only the default openflow table as below.

earyabh at IPCORE:~$sudo ovs-ofctl dump-flows s3
NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):
 cookie=0x0, duration=8289.129s, table=0, n_packets=1978752, n_bytes=3706516890, idle_age=0, priority=0 actions=NORMAL
 cookie=0x0, duration=8289.127s, table=0, n_packets=389, n_bytes=97250, idle_age=1, priority=1000,dl_type=0x88cc actions=CONTROLLER:65535

Can you please help me understand what could be wrong?
why the message is not transfered to vhp1 to s3 ?

Regards
Aryabhatta