[ovs-discuss] Problems with Intel igb driver (Intel 82576) on kernels 3.10.25 and 3.10.31 / openvswitch-2.0.0

reader at fennosys.fi reader at fennosys.fi
Sun Feb 23 10:33:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

Recently discovered that embedded Intel 82576 adapters are not
functioning correctly with the newer igb driver that is included in
3.10.x series of kernels (well I tested with versions 3.10.25, .30 and
.31) and openvswitch.

Tested on Gentoo host with openvswitch-2.0.0-r3 package installed.

We use the package provided module instead the one embedded with
kernel sources. Though tested with the kernel provided module with
similar results.

Downgrading kernel to 3.4.81 will work fine.

Normally we use the two ports in the 82576 adapter in bonded
configuration. While testing dropped the bonding configuration and
used only one adapter connected (without LACP conf) to switch.

While testing we have a simple openvswitch configuration on the host:

     Bridge "br0"
         Port "enp1s0f1"
             Interface "enp1s0f1"
         Port "v70"
             tag: 70
             Interface "v70"
                 type: internal

There is an ip address assigned on internal adapter v70.

With 3.10.x series kernel the interfaces appear just fine, on the
switch (d-link x-stack) side we can see that v70 MAC address has been
registered but with tcpdump on enp1s0f1 can see only one way ARP
traffic (out). Nothing on the receiving side.

Tested also with an other Intel adapter in same host (Intel 82544EI).
*This worked fine*. I guess this one uses e1000 driver?

Is this a bug in igb driver or something else?

Greetings,
Antti