[ovs-discuss] Help determining the cause of a kernel panic...

Travis Wilson cloudtester1225 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:34:49 UTC 2014

Good day.

We are new to OpenStack and Open vSwitch and have run into an issue
where when deploying a VM instance either our Compute Node or Network
Node consistently kernel panic. From what we can see on the screen
when the panics occur it appears that Open vSwitch components may be
involved but we're so new to this process that we have any ideas on
how to solve this issue.

The environment we are working with is being setup following this guide:
https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Grizzly-Install-Guide/blob/OVS_MultiNode/OpenStack_Grizzly_Install_Guide.rst

Outside of the 192.x.x.x addresses in this example being replaced with
out test lab's 172.31.x.x. subnet all other configuration file changes
are identical to what is shown in the guide above.

We are loading this environment in our test lab to try and match that
of a customer environment we working with. We'd like to use the same
versions of OpenStack and Ubuntu that our customer is using but we
can't seem to make things work so I wanted to ask and see if I was
missing anything obvious. The environment we are working with is
Ubuntu 13.04 (patched with all patches as of today) with OpenStack
Grizzly.

The Open vSwitch version number is:
ovs-vswitchd --version
ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 1.9.0
Compiled Mar 1 2013 14:34:38
OpenFlow versions 0x1:0x1

The most important parts of your bug report are the following:

* What you did that make the problem appear.
Launched an instance of Ubuntu on OpenStack.

* What you expected to happen.
Instance would launch and have network connectivity.

* What actually happened.
During Instance launch the Compute or Network node will Kernel Panic.

The following are also handy sometimes:

* The kernel version on which Open vSwitch is running (from
/proc/version) and the
distribution and version number of your OS (e.g. "Centos 5.0").

Linux version 3.8.0-35-generic (buildd at roseapple) (gcc version 4.7.3
(Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-
1ubuntu1) ) #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 3 01:24:59 UTC 2013

* The contents of the vswitchd configuration database (usually
/etc/openvswitch/conf.db).
The output of this file looks a bit large. If these are needed please
let me know.

* The output of "ovs-dpctl show".
(From our compute node)
root at compute01:~# ovs-dpctl show
system at br-int:
lookups: hit:0 missed:0 lost:0
flows: 0 port 0: br-int (internal) port 3: patch-tun (patch:
peer=patch-int) system at br-tun: lookups: hit:0 missed:0 lost:0 flows: 0
port 0: br-tun (internal) port 2: patch-int (patch: peer=patch-tun)
port 4: gre-1 (gre: key=flow, remote_ip=10.20.20.52)

(From our network node)
root at network:~# ovs-dpctl show system at br-int: lookups: hit:4 missed:5
lost:0 flows: 0 port 0: br-int (internal) port 1: tap4819cfd3-5d
(internal) port 2: qr-b823ce99-c1 (internal) system at br-ex: lookups:
hit:1140717 missed:580946 lost:0 flows: 403 port 0: br-ex (internal)
port 1: qg-1527bcc2-b1 (internal) port 2: eth2

* A fix or workaround, if you have one.
None that we have been able to find.We've rebuilt all machines several
times and continue
to experience these issues after setup is complete in each case.

* Any other information that you think might be relevant.
The Compute Node in our configuration is a HP DL380 G5.
The Network Node in our configuration is a Dell 1850 with 2 Intel and
2 Broadcom NICs.

I have some screenshots of the Kernel Panics that we have seen but I
wasn't sure if screenshots could be included in this email so I have
left them out. If there is a preferred way to share these please let
me know. I am happy to share them if they may help.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you can provide.