[ovs-discuss] save default configuration?

Flavio Leitner fbl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 13:17:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:56:58PM -0800, Schlacta, Christ wrote:
> I have some unruly virtual machines that don't like to shut down when
> requested.  This results in vnetn being left connected to openvswitch at
> the end of the day.  This wouldn't be so bad, except that when the host
> comes up, the virtualmachines unlucky enough to need devices numbered equal
> to or greater than n don't start.  Is there some way to tell openvswitch
> what the configuration should look like at boot, and have it actively
> remove or not add the unwanted devices?  I'm thinking it should be as easy
> as ovs-vsctl save-as-initial-config or something like that..  This is one
> of the few remaining sticking points preventing my entire cluster of
> systems from working perfectly right now.
>
> thank you in advance for an answer to this curious conundrum.

If you delete ovs bridge before shutdown/reboot, then all ports will
be gone at boot time.

I am not aware of any config such as save-as-initial-config.  For instance,
iptables dumps all the rules to a file before stop the service and
restore if from the same file when you start the service.  OVS could use
something like that to reestablish ovs flows and ports.

fbl